How to prevent tantrums
Sometimes, the easiest way to deal with a toddler tantrum is to nip it in the bud before it gets there. Here are a few tips we've picked up along the way to help prevent those emotional meltdowns:
- Be pro-active. If you're going for a long day out, take snacks, have a buggy ready for a nap, have plenty of objects to keep your little one amused. Don't let them get hungry, tired and bored!
- Help them understand their feelings, and what to do when they feel that way.
- Give them little bits of control. Let them choose between different pieces of fruit, let them pick their outfit; give them lots of little choices throughout the day to make them feel like they have a say.
- Pick your battles. Don't say no just because you think you should. If your child wants an ice lolly on a hot day, why not?
- And finally, praise good behaviour! Let them know that they get far more attention for their good behaviour than for a tantrum.